West bund x —— Call for VI Design
|Starting time||March 24th 2017, 5:00pm (GMT+8)|
|Ending time||May 12th 2017, 5:00pm (GMT+8)|
|Jury members for the first review||
Chen Rong, Bi Xuefeng, Luo Xiaoteng, Lu Junyi
|Jury members for the final review||
Fang Shizhong, Li Zhonghui, Li Xiangning, Zhou Tiehai, Jason Little, Ruedi Baur
|Organizer||Shanghai West Bund Development Group Co., Ltd.|
|Operator||Shen Haopeng Graphic Design Co., Ltd.|
Shanghai West Bund, with its shoreline reaching a length of 11.4 km along southwest Huangpu River, was once an important industrial area in history, while is now a rising cultural corridor, and is on its way to become the main culturaldistrict and the core area of the city’s Central Activity Zone.
Take Shanghai Expo 2010 as an opportunity, West Bund is aiming to become “the extraordinary waterfront area of the global city”. Based on the principal of “planning led, culture guided, ecology preceded, creativity oriented”, West Bund is to be built as a quality communal waterfront open area, in which the public can experience the water, greenery, history and culture; it is also to be developed as the biggest culture cluster in Asia and a dynamic industrial ecosystem that combines emerging industries such as cultural creativity, science and technological innovation, as well as financial innovation.
City renovation would never stop its pace, and it is always a journey of exploration and creation for every excellent city to develop. To name the VI Design Contest as “West Bund x” is to emphasize the uncertainty and possibilities that the “x” represents, and it is our hope for you as designers to make a breakthrough and create infinite possibilities for West Bund’s future.
When do I submit?
Please submit your design between March 24th 2017, 5:00pm (GMT+8) and May 12th 2017, 5:00pm (GMT+8). Any late submissions will not be received or reviewed.
Who can participate?
All professional designers, amateurdesigners, teachers and students in art schools, regardless individuals or institutions, can participate and submit your design.
What do I submit?
1) Logo design: it can be graphics, or text, or combination of graphics and text.
2) Apply effect in three following scenarios:
a) Logo on printing materials (i.e. related products, promotional materials, etc.)
b) Logo on public facilities and indication system (i.e. road markings, landscape fence, etc.)
c) Logo on West Bund events (i.e. West Bund Music Festival, West Bund Food Festival, West Bund Art & Design Fair, etc.)
3) You should include one or several elements below in your logo design:
a) WEST BUND (either capital or lower-case letters)
b) 上海西岸 (Chinese name for “Shanghai West Bund”)
What are we looking for?
1) The design shall match West Bund’s vision as the “excellent waterfront area of the global city” and its function as the “Central Activity Zone”. The design shall reflect West Bund’s identity, cultural accumulation and distinctive connotation.
2) The design should be concise and clear, modern yet sublime; it should be bright in theme, rich in content and easy to identify. The design should be easily enlarged and reduced in size, it could be applied to many different scenarios, for example, the exterior of the architecture, exhibitions and fairs, road markings and indication, promotional materials, digital media and other related products.
3) The design should be flexible, transformable, malleable, possible to be creative; it should be possible to create moving, three-dimensional, fading in/out, interactive, material, visual, color, digital effects.
What format do I submit?
1) For still images, please submit JPG file in RGB mode, the size of each image should be 1920(W)x1080(H)pixels. Please keep your original design file safe.
2) For moving images, please submit GIF file in RGB mode, the size should be 960(W)x640(H)pixels.
3) If you wish to provide videos to explain your design concepts and application, please upload to a video sharing platform, and add the web link in your design description.
4) You should submit your design sketches, final results and design description.
5) The design description is to explain your concepts and ideas of the design and to help the jury members to understand your work better. Please make sure the description isclear, straight-forward and comprehensive.
6) The submission of design should not include any kind of the designer’s information, which should only be provided in the Registration Form.
How do I submit?
1) There is no registration or participation fee to be paid by the designers.
2) Please fill in the Registration Form, and email it along with your designsto firstname.lastname@example.org
3) By sending your designs, it is agreed that the participants know and accept all the rules. The participants may submit supplementary materials before the submission deadline in case earlier submissions do not meet the requirements.
4) The participants could download this guide and Registration Form from the official website.
How are the submissions reviewed and selected?
1) The jury members will review and select the winning designs.
2) First review: May 15th - May 19th. The Jury members will select 50 shortlisted entries.
3) Public notification: May 22nd - June 5th. The 50 shortlisted entries will be listed online for the internet voting.
4) Internet voting: May 22nd - June 5th. Through internet voting, the public will select 5 Popularity Awards.
5) Final review: On June 6th, the jury members will review the 50 shortlisted entries and select 3 Recognition Awards and 1 First Award.
6) Design optimization: June 7th - June 21st. The First Award winning design will be improved and optimized.
7) Public announcement: On June 23rd, all award-winning designs and the optimized First Award winning design will be listed online.
What bonus do I get with the awards?
1) First Award (onedesign): CNY 300,000
Recognition Award (three designs): CNY 20,000 for each design
Popularity Award (five designs): CNY 1,000 for each design
2) The bonus mentioned above is pre-tax. The recipients should pay taxes according to related laws (including but not limited to that of People’s Republic of China). Other submissions that do not win the awards will not be receiving any of the rewards or bonus.
3) The First Award winner is obligated to optimize the design according to the jury members’ feedbacks. The First Award winneralso has the priority to be commissioned by the organizer to further develop the design, the design fee thereto shall be negotiated based on the case.
4) All 50 shortlisted entries and award-winning designs shall receive certificates cosigned by Shanghai West Bund Development Group Co., Ltd. and West Bund Regional VI Design Contest Organizing Committee.
5) If it is a team that wins any of the awards, the rewards (cash or check) and the certificate will be handed to the person whose name appears in the place in the column of “author” in the Registration Form.
6) The final list of the awards will be announced on Shanghai West Bund official website.
Agreements and policies
1) All submissions will not be returned, please keep your own digital copies.
2) During “West Bund X” period, the participants shall not transferthe design or authorize it to any third party; the participants shall not use the design in any other similar contests.
3) The participants shall hold the complete copyrights of the submitted design; the participants shall confirm that the submitted design has never been transferred or authorized to any third party.
4) Please keep your original design file safe. Allaward-winning designers(First Award, Recognition Award, Popularity Award) shall provide the original design files and sign copyright agreements.Failure to sign the copyright agreement would be regarded as a waiver of the award-winning.
5) All award-winning designs(First Award, Recognition Award, Popularity Award) shall not be used in other similar contests or events.
6) The copyright of the submissions is protected by the laws of People’s Republic of China. For First Award, Recognition Award, Popularity Award winning designs, Shanghai West Bund Development Group Co., Ltd. reserves all intellectual property rights except the right of authorship (including but not limited to copyright, all rights for the graphic, three-dimensional and digital forms of the designs). Shanghai West Bund Development Group Co., Ltd. holds all rights to use, develop, edit, change, authorize, protect the designs in any form.
7) The organizer reserves all rights of the final explanations.
West Bund Regional VI Design Contest Organizing Committee reserves all rights of final explanations of all documents related to the contest including this submissions guide. West Bund Regional VI Design Contest Organizing Committee may revise or supplement matters not mentioned herein.
This contest shall be governed by the laws of the People's Republic of China.
If you have any questions, please contact Dan Yang via:
Tel: +86 (0)21 64575857
For detailed information, please visit our website: www.westbund.com
West Bund x – Call for VI Design: The Shortlist
Another Way of Telling
GUCCI x MAURIZIO CATTELAN | “THE ARTIST IS PRESENT”
Lui Chun Kwong: Forming Dusty Clues
Individual Exhibition of Jiahui Yang " The highway is like a lion's mouth"
Black and White — An Exhibition of Monochrome
YAYOI KUSAMA "THE LONGING FOR MY LOVE ALL BEGAN FROM MY HEART"
Nalini MALANI - Can you hear me ?
Louise Bourgeois: The Eternal Thread